Session Description: There continues to be growing interest in the medicinal uses of cannabidiol, or CBD, for health maintenance and certain medical indications. In particular, the use of hemp-derived CBD for cognitive/brain health is rapidly growing, both in market demand and scientific research. CBD has application in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurogenerative diseases such Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, and Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE). Dr. Lewis will explore the science behind the endocannabinoid system (ECS), particularly in the brain, and the interaction of our endogenous cannabinoids and phytocannabinoids have with our ECS. Additionally, Dr. Lewis will discuss his clinical experience using non-psychoactive, hemp-derived CBD, particularly the value of using CBD for anxiety and after head injuries.
- Participants will be able to describe the role the endocannabinoid system plays in our bodies and brains.
- Participants will be able to discuss the clinical use of Cannabidiol in brain health.
- Participants will be able to discuss the difference between our own innate endocannabinoids and nature’s phytocannabinoids including how they both interact with our endocannabinoid system.
- Participants will be able to explain the difference between cannabis products derived from marijuana versus hemp.
- Participants will be able to explain the differences in mechanisms of action between THC and CBD and how these two substances effect our body differently.
About The Speaker:
Dr. Michael D. Lewis MD, MPH, MBA, FACPM, FACN is an expert on brain health, particularly concussions and traumatic brain injury (TBI). He founded the nonprofit Brain Health Education and Research Institute when he retired as a Colonel after a distinguished 31-year career in the U.S. Army. Dr. Lewis is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and Tulane University School of Medicine and completed his post-graduate training at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Johns Hopkins University, and Walter Reed Army Institute of Research. A sought-after speaker, consultant, and clinician, Dr. Lewis is board-certified and a Fellow of the American College of Preventive Medicine and the American College of Nutrition and the author of the best selling book, When Brains Collide: What every athlete and parent should know about the prevention and treatment of concussions and brain injuries.