Emerging research in epigenetics and nutrition is catching up to the ancient wisdom of Chinese medicine that conceptualized a unity of function between nervous system, digestion and immune resilience. In this workshop, Geri Brewster RD, integrative dietician-nutritionist and Stephen Cowan MD, holistic developmental pediatrician, will discuss the relevance of optimizing neuro-gastro-immune unity before, during and after pregnancy in quality of long-term health. Using case studies, practical applications that employ both Functional Medicine and Chinese medicine will be discussed.
- Participants will be able to discuss clinical implications of the unity of neurogastroimmune (NGI) function in optimizing cognitive health and immune resilience throughout life.
- Participants will be able to discuss the role of the NGI complex in conditions of chronic inflammation.
- Participants will be able to describe the role of the NGI complex in child development.
- Participants will be able to discuss the role of the microbiome and polyvagal theory within the NGI complex.
- Participants will be able to discuss the conception of the NGI complex in Chinese medicine.