Did you know that Americans spend more than half of their food budget in bars and restaurants? And that ninety percent of our $3.3 trillion in annual healthcare spending is on chronic disease, most of which can be staved off, prevented, or even reversed through diet? Food is not only medicine; it is the first line of defense in healing, before medicines and supplements.
Offering nutrition advice and diet handouts alone to patients does not result in lifestyle change. Americans want to eat more home cooked meals, but need easy meal prep. Patients need real and tangible strategies, and manageable steps to facilitate lasting behavioral change. Practical culinary, meal planning, and shopping techniques will be provided to make healthy cooking at home fast, budget friendly, and delicious.
- Participants will be able to identify macronutrients and sodium in popular restaurant meals.
- Participants will be able to identify ways meal prepping minimizes food waste and supports sustainability.
- Participants will be able to teach clients practical culinary tips, meal planning, meal prepping, and shopping strategies.
- Participants will be able to identify popular phone applications that facilitate meal planning and shopping.
- Participants will be able to teach patients strategies for eating healthy on a budget and teach patients how to engage children in preparation of family meals.