Biofilm matrices serve as a protective mechanism for pathogenic and opportunistic organisms that often complicate and impede the resolution of GI challenges. One such challenge, dysbiosis, is an increasingly prevalent — and frustrating — clinical presentation. Join Standard Process for this in-depth exploration of the microbiome, mycobiome, and biofilms, including their role in gastrointestinal function. Our panel of clinicians and research scientists will elucidate the latest findings and translate them into clinically actionable strategies to implement with patients facing a diverse array of GI challenges. Evidence-backed compounds and nutrients that demonstrate efficacy around biofilm disruption will be detailed, equipping attendees with techniques for intervention. A special bonus: our keynote for this preconference session will be Dr. Mahmoud Ghannoum, Ph.D. — the foremost expert in the bacteriome, mycobiome, and polymicrobial biofilms.
Learning Objective #1: Discover the science related to biofilms and their role in gastrointestinal function
Learning Objective #2: Explore compounds and nutritional constituents that demonstrate efficacy in biofilm disruption
Learning Objective #3: Apply distinct concepts in nutrition, lifestyle intervention, and targeted therapeutics to design effective protocols for supporting GI patients
Mahmoud Ghannoum, PhD
Mahmoud Ghannoum, PhD
Weston Bussler, PhD
Weston Bussler, PhD
Jessica Stefanski, NMD, LAc, FABNE
Daina Parent, ND
Daina Parent, ND
Moderator: Jason Bosley-Smith
Jason Bosley-Smith, MS, LDN, CNS, FDN holds advanced degrees and certifications in clinical nutrition and integrative health from Maryland University of Integrative Health and the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine. He is a Certified Nutrition Specialist and Licensed Dietetic Nutritionist with the State of Maryland, having practiced clinically at the University of Maryland Center of Integrative Medicine, and Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Academically, Jason has served as adjunct faculty for MUIH and guest lecturer for George Washington University. Jason has over 20 years of experience across an array of professional modalities including clinical care, professional consulting, executive leadership, educational instruction, and strategy development. In his role at Standard Process, Jason leads a passionate, multidisciplinary team of clinical and nutritional experts in developing and delivering educational strategy, initiatives, content, and resources for SP practitioner partners.
Weston Bussler Ph.D. is a part of the Research and Development team at Standard Process as a Product Development Manager. His work involves developing and translating novel research insights into successful products, ingredients, and educational material for health care practitioners to support health and wellness.
Weston earned his B.S. in Nutrition at The University of Minnesota and continued his education at North Carolina State University where he earned a Ph.D. in Nutrition Science with an emphasis in Food and Agriculture. His research at NCSU focused on the intersection of these three disciplines where he worked to connect plants to health conditions utilizing statistical genomics.
Weston pairs his multidisciplinary background with a passion for nutrition and health promotion.
Co-Founder and Chief Scientific Officer, BiohmHealth
• Received an MSc in Medicinal Chemistry and his PhD in Microbial Physiology from the University of Technology in Loughborough, England, and an MBA from the Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH.
• A tenured Professor and Director of the Integrated Microbiome Core and Center for Medical Mycology, and, Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center.
• Published > 350 peer reviewed publication and 6 scientific books, and was on the top 1% of cited Scientists Worldwide
• Established a multidisciplinary Center of Excellence that combines basic and translational research that spans test tube to the bedside capabilities.
• He pioneered studies on the fungal communities residing in and on our body and coined the term ‘Mycobiome”.
• Awarded the Rhoda Benham Award from the MMSA, and the Freedom to Discover Award from Bristol-Myers Squibb for his outstanding and meritorious contributions to the fields of medical mycology and microbial biofilms.
• Fellow of the Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA), past President of the Medical Mycological Society of the Americas (MMSA). Fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology (FAAM), and the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (FESCMID).
• An entrepreneur-scientist who has launched a number of companies focused on the treatment of biofilm infections, as well as microbial dysbiosis.
Dr. Daina Parent is a licensed Naturopathic Physician and graduate of the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine. She completed her Bachelors of Science in Human Biology from Michigan State University where she graduated with High Honors. Upon graduation from Naturopathic school, Dr. Parent completed specialized training in aesthetics, laser certification and antiaging medicine where she became the Medical Director of her clinic. She then practiced for several years in primary care focusing on hormones, thyroid disorders, IV nutritional therapy, acupuncture and diet and lifestyle modification. Dr. Parent has a passion for education and the implementation of evidence-based medicine into clinical practice.
Jessica Stefanski NMD LAc FABNE is a licensed naturopathic physician and licensed acupuncturist. She is board certified in naturopathic endocrinology and a Fellow of the American Board of Naturopathic Endocrinology. Her clinical work has focused on the integrative treatment of women’s health and hormone conditions. Dr. Stefanski completed her doctorate in naturopathic medicine and her masters in acupuncture at the National University of Natural Medicine (NUNM) in Portland Oregon; NUNM is the oldest accredited naturopathic medical school in North America. Dr. Stefanski maintains a clinical practice in Scottsdale Arizona.
Discover more about the sponsored pre-conference and what’s ahead by downloading the flyer: